For twenty-three years, since the National Federation of the Blind purchased its Baltimore property at 1800 Johnson Street in 1978, the southwest corner of our square block has looked like this.
On October 10, 2001, two highly skilled men began working with track hoes, one equipped with a scoop and the other with a claw. Working precisely and methodically, they took down the old Globe Poster building to make room for our new National Research and Training Institute for the Blind. This is the way the site looked on day two of the demolition.
The demolition site on day four. President Maurer and Mrs. Jernigan inspect the progress from the Skydeck.
The day before the ground-breaking ceremony this is the way the site looked.