Dialysis at National Convention
by Ed Bryant
From the Editor: Ed Bryant is President of the Diabetes Action Network, a division of the National Federation of the Blind. In the following little article he provides important information for anyone on dialysis who is planning to attend the 1999 convention in Atlanta. This is what Ed says:
During this year's convention of the National Federation of the Blind in Atlanta Wednesday, June 30, through Tuesday, July 6, dialysis will be available. The convention will take place at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, 265 Peachtree Center in downtown Atlanta. Those requiring dialysis must have a transient patient packet and physician's statement filled out prior to treatment. Conventioneers must have their unit contact the desired location in the Atlanta area for instructions well in advance.
Individuals will be responsible for, and prior to each treatment must pay out of pocket, the approximately $30 not covered by Medicare plus any additional physician's fees and any charges for other medications.
Dialysis centers should set up transient dialysis locations at least three months in advance. This helps assure a location for anyone wanting to dialyze. There are many centers in the Atlanta area, but the city is large, so early reservation is strongly recommended if you wish to avoid long taxi rides.
Here are some dialysis locations:
* Dialysis Clinic, Inc., Piedmont, 120 Piedmont Avenue NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, telephone (404) 888-4510.
* Dialysis Clinic, Inc., West Peachtree, 820 West Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, telephone (404) 888-4520.
* Gambro Healthcare (on Ralph McGill), 448 Ralph McGill Boulevard, Atlanta, Georgia 30312, telephone (404) 872-7211.
* Gambro Healthcare Atlanta, 400 Decatur Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30312, telephone (404) 577-9097.
* Gambro Healthcare Peachtree, 524 West Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, telephone (404) 249-1563.
Please remember to schedule dialysis treatments early, to ensure space. If scheduling assistance is needed, have your dialysis unit's social worker contact Diabetes Action Network President Ed Bryant at (573) 875-8911. See you in Atlanta.