• The Institute will be the center of technological advancement for the blind. Along with development and promotion of adaptive technology, training will be provided to ensure that the blind move smoothly with their sighted peers into the emerging technological age and do not become casualties of the “digital divide.”
• Statistics show that the current outlook for the 57,000 blind children growing up in this country is one of substandard education, social isolation, and probable unemployment. The NRTIB will identify the elements which characterize effective educational programs for blind children and implement research projects and services that will break down the barriers blind children face in reaching their full potential.
• Braille is crucial to literacy and future employment opportunities for blind and visually impaired children, yet, today, only 10 percent of legally blind children read Braille and more than 40 percent read neither Braille nor large print. There is also much needed in the way of upgrading the Braille skills of teachers of the blind and improving Braille production and Braille teaching technology. The National Research and Training Institute will be the center of a growing Braille Literacy Initiative that will ensure that the progress led by the NFB to reverse Braille illiteracy continues and that Braille is recognized to be as important to blind children as print is to their sighted classmates.
• The National Research and Training Institute will bring together knowledgeable professionals who will design materials and develop training programs to assist state and local agencies in helping blind and visually impaired seniors remain independent and continue to participate in the activities they hope for in their retirement years.
• The new National Research and Training Institute will be the center for research, demonstrations, and job-development partnerships with private industry. These partnerships in combination with successful employment preparation programs will create national momentum toward the full employment of the blind.
The projected construction cost of the Institute is eighteen million dollars. Your pledge can help us Change What It Means to be Blind.
more information contact the
National Federation of the Blind
The Campaign To Change What It Means To Be Blind
Capital Campaign Pledge Intention
1800 Johnson Street * Baltimore, Maryland * 21230
City, State, and Zip:____________________________________________________
Phone (H):_______________________Phone (W):___________________________
City, State, Zip:________________________________________________________
To support the priorities of the Campaign, I (we) pledge the sum of $_______.
My (our) pledge will be
payable in installments of $___________ over the next ______years (we encourage
pledges paid over 5 years), beginning__________, on the following schedule
[ ] annually, [ ] semi-annually, [ ] quarterly, [ ] monthly
I (we) have enclosed a down payment of $______________________
[ ] Gift of stock:___________________shares of ___________________________
[ ] My employer will match my gift.
Please list my (our) names in all Campaign Reports and on the Campaign Wall of Honor in the appropriate Giving Circle as follows:
[ ] I (We) wish to remain anonymous.
The National Federation of the Blind Magazine for Parents of Blind Children
1800 Johnson Street * Baltimore, Maryland 21230
(410) 659-9314 * www.nfb.org * email@example.com
Date: ________________________Phone number(s):___________________________________
Name of child:_________________________________________Birth date:_________________
[ ] Parent [ ]Teacher [ ]Other_____________________________________
[ ]$8.00 Subscription. I understand
this includes a family membership in the National
Organization of Parents of Blind Children
[ ]$15.00 Non-member subscription
This is a: [ ]New Subscription [ ]Renewal [ ]Address or other change
I prefer the following format(s): [ ]Large print [ ]Cassette tape [ ]Both
Changes: Please print old or duplicate name and/or address as it appears on your magazine label in the space provided below. Please let us know if this is an old name/address to be changed to the one given above, or if it is a duplicate that you wish deleted.