The National Federation of the Blind is a membership organization of blind people from each of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. As America's civil rights organization of the blind, the Federation is a coordinated network of skilled advocates, resources, and programs that raise expectations of the blind in society and create opportunities for blind people to live the lives they want. The staff of the Federation are central to the organized blind movement by providing support, professional expertise, and daily contributions to the success of the organization. Working under the direction of the Federation's elected President, the staff advise the organization's leadership and contribute to the vibrant, energetic, and collaborative culture of the organization that raises expectations throughout society.
The Affiliate Finance Bookkeeper is part of the Fiscal Services department supporting National Federation of the Blind affiliates and divisions with nonprofit financial administration. This role requires a detail-oriented multi-tasking individual who enjoys working with others. The Affiliate Finance Bookkeeper supports the Affiliate Finance Specialist by working with affiliate treasurers, helping to complete IRS and state filings, and coordinating affiliate finance activities. The ideal candidate will have accounting/bookkeeping knowledge and extensive QuickBooks experience; knowledge of nonprofit management is a plus.
- Support the President and Executive Director of Fiscal Services
- Assist the Affiliate Finance Specialist
- Support affiliate and division treasurers
- Monitor QuickBooks transactions and provide feedback and training when necessary
- Assist in completing annual tax filings
- Coordinate state filings by tracking requirements and completing necessary reports
- Monitor program email and track outstanding issues for follow-up
- Provide QuickBooks training to new treasurers
- Identify issues and recommend solutions
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of accounting/bookkeeping
- Experience with QuickBooks or QuickBooks online
- Strong ability to analyze financial books and documents
- Ability to read financial reports
- Ability to identify issues and problem solve
- Strong organization skills
- Knowledge of nonprofit management a plus
- Skill in pattern recognition a plus
- Ability to communicate financial issues to laypersons a plus
- Ability to function on teams or individually, depending upon task required, and to move quickly and efficiently from one task to another.
Education and Experience
- Associates degree in accounting or finance, experience may substitute
- Minimum of three to five years of relevant experience required
How to Apply
We seek individuals who wish to identify with a cause and to assist in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail based on ability, and not be denied opportunity based on society’s stereotypes.
This job is open until filled. Applicants should send, preferably via email, a résumé and cover letter indicating salary requirements to: Human Resources, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230; telephone 410-659-9314, ext. 2488; fax 410-685-5653; email [email protected].
The National Federation of the Blind is an equal opportunity employer. Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. For more detailed information about our commitment to equal opportunity in employment, please email a request to [email protected].