The National Federation of the Blind is a membership organization of blind people from each of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. As America's civil rights organization of the blind, the Federation is a coordinated network of skilled advocates, resources, and programs that raise expectations of the blind in society and create opportunities for blind people to live the lives they want. The staff of the Federation are central to the organized blind movement by providing support, professional expertise, and daily contributions to the success of the organization. Working under the direction of the Federation's elected President, the staff advise the organization's leadership and contribute to the vibrant, energetic, and collaborative culture of the organization that raises expectations throughout society.
The National Federation of the Blind, based in Baltimore, MD is looking for a qualified Digital Communications professional to join our team. You will be responsible for creating and overseeing content creators for the organization, ensuring content is up to date, on-brand, and relevant. Responsibilities also include monitoring email analytics, web traffic, and website metrics. This role makes a critical contribution to the overall mission of the National Federation of the Blind. Our ideal candidate is an experienced professional with demonstrable creative writing skills, performs well under deadlines and is detail oriented. If you are also an expert in content optimization and brand consistency, we would like to meet you. Digital Communications efforts include maintaining nfb.org and other domains in the NFB’s online portfolio.
The responsibilities of the Digital Communications Coordinator will:
- Overseeing content creation and publishing
- Reviewing content developed by various stakeholders, review, edit, and approve as necessary for a range of digital communications including web and emails
- Participating in design and development of new nfb.org website
- Being familiar with accessibility best practices and guidelines to ensure proper implementation (will provide training)
- Creating and overseeing a content calendar that aligns with communication strategies, tactics, and organizational milestones and events
- Overseeing email communications
- Understanding and implementing SEO best practices and train content creators on these practices
- Staying current with industry website trends and best practices; ensuring NFB stays current
- Understanding web copywriting best practices and contributing copy as needed
- Contributing to homepage planning and updates
- Use of Google Analytics to analyze website traffic and recommend updates and improvements based on this data (Training possible.)
- Managing Google Webmaster tools for SEO, etc. (Training possible.)
- Integrating with social media as needed
- Working with the e-commerce team to ensure good usability, content and navigation of new our e-commerce site
- Overseeing division website updates and maintenance (approximately 10 sites) to ensure proper branding, strong content, and good usability.
- Maintaining the organizational portfolio of domains, evaluating each for continued value and renewing as needed
- Consulting on affiliate and chapter website development and updates to ensure proper branding and messaging
- Proven work experience in digital communications
- Basic technical knowledge of HTML and web/email publishing, Drupal and CiviCRM experience is a plus
- Knowledge of SEO, web traffic metrics, and email analytics
- Familiarity with social media
- Excellent writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Good organizational and time-management skills
- Degree in Journalism, Marketing or relevant field
How to Apply
We seek individuals who wish to identify with a cause and to assist in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail based on ability, and not be denied opportunity based on society’s stereotypes.
This job is open until filled. Applicants should send, preferably via email, a résumé and cover letter indicating salary requirements to: Human Resources, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230; telephone 410-659-9314, ext. 2488; fax 410-685-5653; email [email protected].
The National Federation of the Blind is an equal opportunity employer. Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. For more detailed information about our commitment to equal opportunity in employment, please email a request to [email protected].