The National Federation of the Blind is a membership organization of blind people from each of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. As America's civil rights organization of the blind, the Federation is a coordinated network of skilled advocates, resources, and programs that raise expectations of the blind in society and create opportunities for blind people to live the lives they want. The staff of the Federation are central to the organized blind movement by providing support, professional expertise, and daily contributions to the success of the organization. Working under the direction of the Federation's elected President, the staff advise the organization's leadership and contribute to the vibrant, energetic, and collaborative culture of the organization that raises expectations throughout society.
The Advocacy and Policy Department of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is responsible for assisting the President in the coordination and management of all federal legislative and regulatory advocacy; providing affiliates with state and local legislative technical assistance, strategy development and training; membership support with education, employment, and social security issues; the administration of our Independence Market; and the administration of the NFB-NEWSLINE® system.
The Program Assistant functions as a key member of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and will be responsible for providing administrative support to the Independence Market group and NFB-NEWSLINE group.
- Providing quality customer service in person and via telephone
- Handling retail sales and completing basic financial transactions
- Processing purchase orders and invoices
- Maintaining basic spreadsheet for payments processed
- Stocking storage and retail area
- Providing basic inventory control
- Entering data accurately and efficiently using multiple platforms
- Scanning, transcribing, and editing documents
- Producing and duplicating data on USB and other digital media
- Sorting and shipping basic correspondence and packages via USPS and UPS
- Respond to customer/subscriber emails
- Serve as back-up person in the absence of other department staff
- Performing basic administrative tasks of processing mail, filing paperwork, and other NFB correspondence
- Provide technical assistance and instruction to NFB-NEWSLINE subscribers Performing other duties as assigned.
- Customer service experience and the ability to interact with customers in a warm, friendly, and efficient manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize and execute multiple job tasks
- Ability to grasp fundamental concepts quickly and execute tasks with little supervision
- Excellent oral, written, and clerical communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy in executing work assignments
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Office applications and the ability to learn other computer applications
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Curious with a growing desire to learn
Preferred Skills (but not required)
- Ability to read Braille
- Technical writing skills
Educational and Experience
- An Associates Degree is preferred; however, we will consider other combinations of education and experience demonstrating abilities to perform the work.
How to Apply
We do not speak in terms of “positions” for many of our jobs at the NFB National Office, preferring to focus on the applicant’s total skill set in determining a fit with our needs. Candidates for jobs at this level are hired based on their education and experience ratings and careful assessment of performance in multiple interviews. We seek individuals who long to identify with a cause and to assist in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail because of ability and not be denied opportunity based on society’s stereotypes.
This job is open until filled.
Applicants should send, via email, a cover letter, resume with wage history, and the contact information of two professional references to NFB Human Resources email: [email protected].
The National Federation of the Blind is an equal opportunity employer.Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. For more detailed information about our commitment to equal opportunity in employment, please email a request to [email protected].