The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is a membership organization of blind people from each of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. As America's civil rights organization of the blind, the Federation is a coordinated network of skilled advocates, resources, and programs that raise expectations of the blind in society and create opportunities for blind people to live the lives they want. The staff of the Federation are central to the organized blind movement by providing support, professional expertise, and daily contributions to the success of the organization. Working under the direction of the Federation's elected President, the staff advise the organization's leadership and contribute to the vibrant, energetic, and collaborative culture of the organization that raises expectations throughout society.
Reporting to the IT director, the IT operation manager oversees the IT infrastructure, operations, and cyber security function in support of the NFB’s staff and members. This position ensures that infrastructure and core services meet the needs of users.
The IT operations manager oversees and manages the performance of the outsourced managed service provider (MSP) and other service providers, as well as undertaking design and project management of infrastructure and security projects. Candidate must have the ability to organize multiple projects and to work comfortably with organizational stakeholders at all levels, including membership and senior management.
- Develop short- and long-term plans to ensure that IT infrastructure and operations meet the needs of the organization.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the IT infrastructure and support function, ensuring a high level of quality and user satisfaction.
- Plan, communicate, and manage IT infrastructure and operations projects, including systems upgrades and replacements.
- With the IT Director, develop and regularly test comprehensive business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Manage and continually refine an appropriate cyber security program to protect NFB.
- Develop and manage detailed budgets for capital and operational expense related to IT operations. Actively manage IT infrastructure and operations costs to ensure budget adherence.
- Manage the performance of the outsourced service desk and other vendors providing IT operations services, ensuring high quality and user satisfaction.
- Monitor and appropriately manage security and system alerts.
- Hands-on administration of Windows and Linux server operating systems, Mitel phone system, network switches, firewalls, WDS, and other infrastructure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Self-directed with a strong sense of personal accountability regarding decision-making, quality of work, and the ability to consistently deliver a superior service/product to the organization.
- Highly collaborative, customer-service focused, and quality obsessed.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, and time management skills; extreme attention to detail.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, related field, or equivalent work experience yielding a thorough understanding of the core elements of IT infrastructure and operations (including networking, unified communications, user support, server infrastructure, cloud hosting, SaaS applications, cyber security, and risk management).
- Experience as the most senior IT operations leader for a mid-sized organization.
- Familiarity with Microsoft 365, Windows Servers OS, Linux, Mimecast
- Demonstrated track record successfully managing significant system upgrades and replacements, strong project management skills.
- Previous experience selecting and managing external vendors; comfortable using data to measure and manage performance (e.g., ticket data to measure service desk performance)
How to Apply
We seek individuals who wish to identify with a cause assisting in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail based on ability, not be denied opportunity based on society’s stereotypes.
This job is open until filled. Applicants should send, preferably via email, a résumé and cover letter indicating salary requirements to: Human Resources, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230; telephone 410-659-9314, extension 2488; fax 410-685-5653; email [email protected].
The National Federation of the Blind is an equal opportunity employer. Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. For more detailed information about our commitment to equal opportunity in employment, please email a request to [email protected].