Braille Monitor April 2008
(back) (contents) (next)
On September 1, 1978, the National Federation of the Blind purchased property at 1800 Johnson Street in Baltimore, Maryland, and began the step-by-step process of renovating it to create the National Center for the Blind that we know today. By the time our national convention took place in Baltimore in 1981, the first offices at our new headquarters were in use, and Federationists could tour the entire property on the Fourth of July, the day before the convention began. But from the moment the legal documents were signed that September morning in 1978, the National Federation of the Blind has been an active member of the corporate community in Maryland. On January 17, 2008, the Maryland senate passed a resolution and presented a plaque to President Maurer commemorating thirty years of the NFBís contribution to the community.
Senate of Maryland
Be it hereby known to all that
The Senate of Maryland
offers its sincerest congratulations to
National Federation of the Blind
in recognition of
30 years of commitment to promoting equality for the
blind, particularly in the City of Baltimore
and the State of Maryland
The entire membership extends best wishes on
this memorable occasion and directs this resolution
be presented on this 17th day of January, 2008.
Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr.
President of the Senate
Senator Joan Carter Conway
Senate Resolution No. 56