The National Federation of the Blind is a membership organization of blind people from each of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. As America's civil rights organization of the blind, the Federation is a coordinated network of skilled advocates, resources, and programs that raise expectations of the blind in society and create opportunities for blind people to live the lives they want. The staff of the Federation are central to the organized blind movement by providing support, professional expertise, and daily contributions to the success of the organization. Working under the direction of the Federation's elected President, the staff advise the organization's leadership and contribute to the vibrant, energetic, and collaborative culture of the organization that raises expectations throughout society.
This position will support the executive director of fiscal services, the President, and the fiscal services department to help manage the business activities of the National Federation of the Blind. The assistant will perform tasks across all sections of the department, working with team members as well as the organization’s senior management and members to make sure the diverse tasks and projects are completed timely and accurately.
The executive assistant must be highly motivated, organized, and detail-oriented to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. We seek someone with executive assistant or nonprofit experience who wants to be part of the National Federation of the Blind and our mission.
- Assist the executive director and other senior management as necessary.
- Administer bequests, including maintaining files.
- Assist with annual audit administration.
- Assist with annual healthcare enrollment and HSA program.
- Assist with the scholarship program application process.
- Assist with year-end prep and review.
- CRM coordinator for department reports and updating data.
- Maintain fiscal services files, including paper and electronic HR and business files.
- Manage corporate card program.
- Manage specific donor and award programs.
- Process department expenditures.
- Write and maintain fiscal services processes.
- All other tasks as assigned or determined.
- Ability to focus on details.
- Ability to identify and correct errors for your own work and that of others.
- Ability to learn new software through guides, training, and exploration.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use a high degree of discretion in sensitive situations.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and adjust when necessary.
- Ability to read, understand, and locate potential errors in financial reports and complex documents.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to work in a team and alone when necessary.
- Basic understanding of databases.
- Capable and willing to learn new skills.
- Knowledge of standard English including grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
Education and Experience
- Education or relevant work experience sufficient to demonstrate possession of the requisite skills and ability to complete the representative duties of the position.
- Accounting experience a plus.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
- Two to three years of executive assistant experience.
How to Apply
We seek individuals who wish to identify with a cause and to assist in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail on the basis of ability, and not be denied opportunity on the basis of society’s stereotypes.
This job is open until unfilled. Applicants should send, via email, a cover letter, resume with wage history, and the contact information of two professional references to NFB Human Resources: [email protected].
The National Federation of the Blind is an equal opportunity employer. Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. For more detailed information about our commitment to equal opportunity in employment, please email a request to [email protected].