The National Federation of the Blind provides a substantial number of educational programs, services, and resources for the blind, and is widely considered the leading expert in the field of blindness. Through the NFB Jernigan Institute, we serve blind youth, blind adults, parents of blind children, blindness professionals, and the general public across the United States. We support the instruction, production, and utilization of Braille as a fundamental tool for literacy and independence for the blind. We also administer the Braille Transcription and Proofreading Certification program for the Library of Congress. The Braille Proofing – Production Specialist functions as an integral member of the staff at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute and will be responsible for providing Braille transcription, proofing, production, and administrative support for various projects and programs throughout the institute. The chosen individual must be dynamic, committed, flexible, and detail oriented. The job responsibilities of Braille Proofing – Production Specialist at the NFB Jernigan Institute are challenging and rewarding. There is a great deal of variability in the type of work that needs to be completed from one day to the next, so the individual must be flexible and self-motivated. Only individuals who are interested in playing an integral role in the work of the NFB Jernigan Institute, which is at the forefront of innovation in the field of blindness, should apply for this position.
- Transcribing and proofreading Braille material produced in a variety of content areas
- Assisting with the grading and evaluation of course lessons and trial manuscripts from students participating in the Braille Certification program
- Embossing Braille documents, letters, manuals, agendas, and course materials.
- Performing basic maintenance and repairs on Braille embossers
- Training other staff on how to use Braille embossers
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Certification from NLS as a literary braille transcriber or proofreader (Letter of Proficiency in UEB required if certified before 2016)
- Two years’ experience in proofreading and Braille production
- Knowledge or experience in blindness
- Able to express himself/herself effectively verbally and in writing
- Proficient in the use of Braille translation software and Braille production technology
- Self-directed, self-motivated, organized, and sensitive to timelines and due dates
- Strong ability to manage priorities and adjust as needed
- Must be able to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Willing to work weekends and evenings when necessary
- Facility with the use of styles and other advanced features of Microsoft Word
- Experience transcribing or proofreading braille materials in Spanish or other non-English languages
- Strong knowledge of Nemeth Braille Code for Mathematics and Science Notation
How to Apply
We do not speak in terms of “positions” for many of our jobs at the NFB National Office, preferring to focus on the applicant’s total skill set in determining a fit with our needs. Candidates for jobs at this level are hired on the basis of their education and experience ratings and careful assessment of performance in multiple interviews. We seek individuals who long to identify with a cause and to assist in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail on the basis of ability and not be denied opportunity on the basis of society’s stereotypes.
This job is open until filled. Applicants should send, preferably via email, a résumé and cover letter indicating salary requirements to: Human Resources, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230; telephone 410-659-9314, ext. 2488; fax 410-685-5653; email [email protected].