The National Federation of the Blind is a membership organization of blind people from each of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. As America's civil rights organization of the blind, the Federation is a coordinated network of skilled advocates, resources, and programs that raise expectations of the blind in society and create opportunities for blind people to live the lives they want. The staff of the Federation are central to the organized blind movement by providing support, professional expertise, and daily contributions to the success of the organization. Working under the direction of the Federation's elected President, the staff advise the organization's leadership and contribute to the vibrant, energetic, and collaborative culture of the organization that raises expectations throughout society.
Our hospitality department keep our organization running smoothly from behind the scenes. Each member of the team plays a role in presenting the Federation’s positive public image. By helping to maintain a clean, comfortable, and safe environment, our staff make it possible for all Federation staff to perform their jobs efficiently. Similarly, our members and guests experience a visit that feels welcoming and enjoyable.
The National Federation of the Blind regularly hosts a variety of events and activities for groups both large and small. Our logistics group help with setup beforehand and teardown after such events. Cleaning sleeping rooms and common areas, preparing food, serving meals, and interacting with visitors are all duties throughout events.
- Plan, organize, and manage the daily activities of the hospitality/logistics staff.
- Coordinate with staff across departments to ensure effective execution of events.
- Propose and maintain procedures and controls for the effective operation of events.
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of commercial kitchen for in-house events.
- Set up, arrange, and break down event supplies including tables, chairs, stage, and screens for events such as banquets and meetings.
- Monitor the quantity and quality of supplies and equipment.
- Clean and maintain common areas such as restrooms, lobbies, hallways, conference rooms, dining areas, commercial kitchen, etc.
- Clean sleeping rooms, launder linens and towels, and replenish sleeping-room supplies.
- Vacuum, shampoo, mop, sweep, and spot clean floors and furniture.
- Safely operate fleet vehicles, including fifteen-passenger vans, to transport staff and/or members to and from airport, train station, and off-site events, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent managerial skills and the ability to lead, motivate, and communicate.
- An attention to detail and is well organized.
- Solid problem-solving aptitude.
- Hands-on experience in food and beverage services desirable.
- Exceptional time and crisis management skills.
- Good physical condition to perform job duties.
- Reliability, punctuality, and ability to work flexible days and hours.
- Ability to function as part of a team or individually, depending upon task required, and to move quickly and efficiently from one task to another.
- Active valid driver’s license desirable.
Compensation and Benefits
The pay range for this position is 60,000 to 65,000 dollars.
Please go to our benefits brochure to learn about the employee benefits offered by the National Federation of the Blind.
How to Apply
We seek individuals who wish to identify with a cause and assist in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail based on ability-instead judged on societal stereotypes.
This job is open until filled. Applicants should send, preferably via email, a résumé and cover letter indicating salary requirements to: Human Resources, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230; telephone 410-659-9314, ext. 2488; fax 410-685-5653; email [email protected].
The National Federation of the Blind is an equal opportunity employer. Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. For more detailed information about our commitment to equal opportunity in employment, please email a request to [email protected].