Updated October 2022
Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.
The National Federation of the Blind is a membership organization of blind people. As America's civil rights organization of the blind, the Federation is a coordinated network of skilled advocates, resources, and programs that raise expectations of the blind in society and create opportunities for blind people to live the lives they want.
The staff of the Federation provides collaborative support and professional expertise to the growing success of the organization. Working under the direction of the Federation's elected President, the staff advise the organization's leadership and contribute to the vibrant, energetic, and focused culture of the organization and community.
The National Federation of the Blind is a high-performing organization serving the members of the organization and advocating for the civil rights of the blind community. We value service, teamwork, diversity, integrity, and relationships. Many of our staff have been employed here for more than ten years. Many staff decide to become members of the organization themselves and become an integral part of the nationwide Federation family network.
Some positions require occasional travel. Every year, NFB hosts our annual convention. Wherever it takes place, most of our employees participate as hosts in the convention. This gives us an opportunity to see firsthand what we are achieving every day, and to build even deeper relationships with our members.
Connecting people. Advocating for rights. Creating change.
NFB offers a wide range of competitive benefits to our employees. These benefits are subject to change based on applicable laws and regulations as well as the needs and direction of our organization.
- Medical healthcare insurance is available for all employees and their dependents. The NFB pays 100% of the premium cost for the individual employee. Plans are annually reviewed to offer the best coverage with the best benefits for employees.
- NFB offers multiple healthcare plans that include a traditional plan and an HSA plan, allowing employees to use pre-tax dollars to pay for medical expenses.
- In-network deductibles can be as low as $1,200 for a year.
- Plans include prescription drug coverage and “Virtual Visits,” allowing our employees to video chat with a physician instead of going to the doctor’s office for every visit.
- Coverage through Cigna, a major carrier, is available.
- Annual deductible: 25 dollars ($75 for families).
- Coverage includes a wide range of dental services. The per pay premium ranges from $15 to $41 depending on your coverage level.
Vision coverage through Cigna.
Covered services and products include exams, frames, lenses for eyeglasses, or contact lenses.
Premiums range from about 3 to 9 dollars per pay depending on your coverage level.
EmployeeOne Solutions provides benefits support.
Available by phone call or email to answer questions regarding benefits.
Fast and reliable service to NFB employees.
Other Voluntary Benefits
- AFLAC offers valuable voluntary benefits to NFB employees.
- Benefits include short-term disability, hospitalization, and accident indemnity coverage.
- TransAmerica offers a voluntary life insurance benefit to NFB employees.
- Premiums for these voluntary plans are covered by the employee via payroll deduction.
- NFB 403(b) retirement plan through Principal Financial includes pretax and Roth options.
- Full-time and part-time employees who work 1,000 or more hours a year are eligible from their start date to join the plan.
- The National Federation of the Blind decides on an annual basis if the organization will do a match for the year. To be eligible for matching contributions, the employee must be working for the organization six months prior to the match.
- NFB employees are paid bi-weekly.
- Direct deposit is the preferred method of payment.
- Competitive salaries compared to market.
Paid Time Off
NFB recognizes that employees have lives and demands outside of our work. To support our team’s work/life balance, NFB offers a generous array of Paid Time Off programs.
- Paid Holidays
- Sick/Personal leave
- Annual leave
Each category features different rates of accrual and rules with respect to use and roll-over. NFB employees can monitor their own leave balances through Paycom, our payroll and human resource information system.
FMLA/Sick and Safe Leave
Given the size of our employee base, NFB complies with FMLA and other laws that govern time off for our team.
The organization’s goal is always to seek to complete our mission effectively while supporting employees who contribute significantly to our progress. Telework at NFB is available and a value-added option when both the employee and the job are suited to such an arrangement. Employees can become eligible for telework during their first year of service with the organization.
Onsite Fitness Center
The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute has a newly renovated fitness facility that can be accessed by staff at no cost. The thirty- by forty-foot fitness area has a variety of exercise equipment including free weights and private shower rooms.
Great Work Spaces
The NFB Jernigan Institute building in Baltimore provides state of the art meeting and office spaces for all employees. The office space includes a spacious common lunchroom, all the free coffee you can drink, and even an outside deck for eating or meeting outside when the weather is nice. Our secure building provides great flexibility to the NFB team in carrying out our mission. For those who drive, access to free parking at the building is available.
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.