Welcome to the Center of Employment Opportunity. With opportunities to compete in the workplace in terms of equality, blind people can achieve careers based on their dreams, talents, and abilities. The National Federation of the Blind will provide working age blind people with an opportunity to compete in the workplace on terms of equality. We assist blind people in gaining the skills and confidence necessary to achieve an employment outcome that is commensurate with your talents and abilities. We provide employers with the tools you need to recruit, hire, train, and promote competent blind employees.
Pursue the career you want. Connect and support with more talent.
Job Seekers: Pursue Your Dreams
The National Federation of the Blind provide working age blind people with an opportunity to compete in the workplace on terms of equality.
- Information on available Internships
- Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion
- American Job Center Finder
- Coming Soon: Career Planning
- Where the Blind Work Webinar
Know Your Rights: Self-Advocacy Employment Tool Kit
Your right to employment is important. The National Federation of the Blind encourages you to familiarize yourself with your federal protections and the actions you can take to prevent and resolve access barriers and disability discrimination. Also, you should access the network of blind professionals who are members of the Federation to learn more about individual experiences and receive guidance on employment. Connect with your local affiliate and chapters, or there may be a division with your career interest. Please visit the resources gathered below and let us know of other resources that have been helpful to you.
Career Mentoring: Build Professional Development
We seek connects blind and low-vision students with successful blind role models who help them navigate their path from education to career success.
Hi, My name is Emily, and I recently joined mentor program with NFB, but I’ve already gotten so much out of it. Living in a sighted world as a blind person can feel really isolating sometimes. So knowing that there so many supportive people out there willing to assist you in your journey and independence and getting ready for your career and life itself is very good to know. It prepares you for other things in life.
- Becoming a Mentee
- Become a Mentor
- Coming Soon: Career Mentoring Modules
- Getting the Straight Scoop from Our Mentees (HTML)
- Getting the Straight Scoop from Our Mentees (MP3)
- Mentoring Cultivates and Nurtures Relationships that Contribute to Lifelong Learning and to Living the Lives We Want (HTML)
- Mentoring Cultivates and Nurtures Relationships that Contribute to Lifelong Learning and to Living the Lives We Want (MP3)
Pearson Corporate Disability Mentoring Program
The Pearson Corporate Disability Mentoring Program expands our career mentoring program through the development of mentoring triads consisting of blind young adults, blind professionals from the NFB, and sighted professionals from Pearson. This three-sided approach has a positive, exponential impact on all participants through the relationships that are created.
Employment Committee: Enhancing Our Opportunities
More details coming soon.
- Information on General Employment Committee meetings
- Coming Soon: Upward Mobility Group
- List of State employment committees
- Read employment articles in Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog
Employer Connections: Recruit More Talent
As America’s membership organization of the blind, the National Federation of the Blind has an extensive community already in place as well as more than eighty years’ worth of knowledge in areas directly related to employment.
The National Federation of the Blind offers several resources for employers.
- Employer Leadership Network
- Direct Source
- Participate in the upcoming career fair
- Develop and support internships
- Professional agencies
- Job Accommodations Network
More Information about Center of Employment Opportunity
We look forward to continuing to build the Center of Employment Opportunity. If you have questions or feedback, please email [email protected].