National Federation of the Blind
2014 Scholarship Program
To recognize achievement by blind scholars, the National Federation of the Blind annually offers blind college students in the United States and Puerto Rico the opportunity to win one of thirty merit-based, national-level scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000. All scholarships awarded are based on academic excellence, community service, and leadership.
All applicants for these scholarships:
- must be legally blind (PDF document) in both eyes, and
- must be residing in the United States, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico, and
- must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in a degree program at a United States institution in the 2014 scholastic year, except that one scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time, and
- must participate in the entire NFB national convention and in all of its scheduled scholarship program activities.
In addition to a scholarship, each winner will receive assistance to attend the 2014 National Federation of the Blind Annual Convention at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando, Florida, July 1-6 (departing July 7), providing an excellent opportunity for high-level networking with active blind persons in many different professions and occupations.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31, 2014. See Scholarship FAQ for details.
TO APPLY FOR AN NFB SCHOLARSHIP:
- Confirmation of Legal Blindness (PDF document). Are you eligible?
- Submissions Checklist. This webpage lists the requirements for a complete application. Documents must be submitted online or postmarked by March 31, 2014. Complete applications tend to have an advantage in the competition. The NFB Scholarship Committee takes no responsibility for notifying you if required information is missing from your application.
- Frequently Asked Questions (Scholarships FAQ). Answers include useful advice for any applicant.
- 2014 Scholarship Application Form, online edition: available 11-1-2013 through 3-31-2014.
- 2014 Scholarship Application Form, print edition: available upon request 11-1-2013 through 3-31-2014.
- "The Secret to Winning a National Federation of the Blind Scholarship" by Scholarship Chairperson Patti S. Gregory-Chang, Esq.
- MP3 Podcast: Scholarship Chairperson Patti Chang offers tips for receiving an NFB scholarship during her Interview on ThruOurEyes with Joe Ruffalo
- 2014 List of Scholarships, $12,000 to $3,000. Fill out only one application for the program to be in competition for all 30 scholarships. The NFB Scholarship Committee decides which scholarship each winner will receive.
- Self-Advocacy in Higher Education by Mark Riccobono.
- 2014 NFB Scholarship Program flyer
What kind of student wins an NFB scholarship? You may read about past NFB National Scholarship recipients in August-September "convention issues" of the Braille Monitor.
Please direct any additional questions to the chairperson. Email is preferred.
Chairperson Patti Chang, Esq.
Office: (410) 659-9314, extension 2415
NFB Scholarship Program
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230