NFB Trivia Questions
Federationists! You can use these questions to liven up your NFB meetings and to educate members on our history. Below each question, you will find an answer. Feel free to change this format and to personalize it by including questions about your local leaders. For example, you can create a fun "Who Wants To Be A Federationist?" style game by offering multiple choices to the questions and by incorporating audience participation. You can also consider using them to model after other popular game shows such as Jeopardy or Hollywood Squares. The sky is the limit with these questions, so have fun using them!
1. Where did Marc Maurer earn his undergraduate degree and his law degree?
Answer: Notre Dame and Indiana University
2. What is Marc Maurer's middle name?
3. Where was Fred Schroeder born?
4. What was the original name of the Braille Monitor?
Answer: All Story Magazine
5. What was Dr. tenBroek's nickname?
6. While in Iowa, on which specialized board did Dr. Jernigan serve?
Answer: Iowa Wine Commission
7. Who was the first president of the student division?
Answer: James Gashel
8. In what field did Mary Ellen Jernigan earn her undergraduate degree?
9. What is the name of the first kernel book?
Answer: What Color is the Sun?
10. What year was the NFB formed and where did they meet?
Answer: 1940, in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
11. Name two publications of the National Federation of the Blind.
Answer: Braille Monitor and Future Reflections
12. What does the acronym JAWS stand for?
Answer: Job Access With Speech
13. Name three members of the NFB board of directors.
14. For what two affiliates did Dr. Maurer serve as president?
Answer: Maryland and Indiana
15. In what three cities are the NFB training centers located?
Answer: Minneapolis, MN, Ruston, LA, and Denver, CO
16. When did Dr. Maurer become president?
17. The NFB Headquarters in Baltimore began operations in what year?
18. What is the Braille Readers are Leaders Program?
Answer: A program that rewards students for reading Braille.
19. Name the titles of two popular NFB songs.
Answer: Glory Glory Federation; The Workshop Song; the Library Song
20. What is the 'Independence Market'?
Answer: NFB store located at the NFB headquarters in Baltimore.
21. What month is 'Meet the Blind Month?'
22. What candy does Dr. Maurer hand out during seminars & convention?
Answer: M & M's
23. Which state affiliate has the largest number of local chapters?
Answer: South Carolina
24. Name three pieces of technology used by a blind person.
Answer: JAWS, BrailleNote, Braille display, etc.
25. There are several pieces of legislation that helped promote equality for blind individuals. Name one.
Answer: White Cane law, Braille bills, ADA
26. Name three former state presidents.
Answer: Charlie Brown (VA), Donald Capps (SC), Diane McGeorge (CO), Barbara Pierce (OH).
27. In what year did Dr. Jernigan deliver the banquet speech Blindness: Of Visions and Vultures?
28. What is the PAC Plan?
Answer: The Pre-Authorized Check Plan is a way for members to make a direct automatic monthly contribution to the organization.
29. How many national scholarships are awarded each year to promising college students at national convention?
30. What was the date of the grand opening of the Jernigan Institute?
Answer: January 30, 2004
31. When was Louis Braille born?
Answer: January 4, 1809
32. Recite the NFB Pledge.
Answer: I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.
33. Name four NFB divisions.
Answer: National Association to Promote the Use of Braille, National Organization of Parents of Blind Children, Performing Arts, Sports & Recreation.
34. Who is the current treasurer of the National Federation of the Blind?
Answer: Pam Allen
35. What was the first newspaper on NFB Newsline?
Answer: USA Today
36. Newell Perry held a doctorate in what subject?
37. Where will the 2010 national convention be held?
Answer: Dallas, TX
38. In what convention city was Dr. Maurer first elected National President?
Answer: Kansas City, MO
39. Who is the chairman of the PAC Plan?
Answer: Scott LaBarre
40. Name the titles of three NFB banquet addresses.